Effective March 1st
FINANCE CHARGES – Effective March 1 account balances greater than 90 days will be assessed a 1.5% finance charge per month.
CONVENIENCE FEES FOR CREDIT CARD AND PAYPAL: Effective March 1st all payments made by credit card or PayPal will be subject to a convenience fee; $1 for transactions less than $25 and 3.5% for transactions over $25.
For Sale: frame type Suffolks yearlings ewes NN/RR big, beautiful headed show prospects.
Contact Ocean State Suffolks, Joe and Vonnie Young, Tom Bean, TX. 817-239-7879. Email at email@example.com
U.S.S.A Board Adopts Suffolk Genetic Recovery Program
The United Suffolk Board in its retreat during the spring of 2015 proposed a goal of establishing a Suffolk genetic recovery program under the breed improvement plan. It became apparent to the Board that a number of Suffolk breeders had not registered their Suffolks for many years. These sheep were not eligible for the percentage registration program even though they were of Suffolk origins. The Board decided to explore the ramifications of allowing these breeders to register their sheep by appointing a committee to further investigate the issue. The Board adopted a Suffolk genetic recovery proposal after much research and numerous meetings. The parameters of the program are as follows.
Eligibility for Suffolk GAP registrations
- Must be a member in good standing of the U.S.S.A. or U.J.S.S.A
- Certify to the best of your knowledge that the sheep being considered for GAP are of Suffolk descent by signing the application for registration.
- Offspring of these ewes are only eligible for registration if sired by a registered (fullblood) Suffolk ram.
Instructions for GAP Registrations
- Own 1 or more blackface ewes that are Suffolk in their phenotype
- Papers have not been maintained on these ewes for generations
- Records have been maintained on the ewes and you are confident that they are Suffolk in their genetic makeup
- Fill out a background questionnaire the sheep being preposed for registration
- An inspection, either physically or photographically, will validate their phenotype and determine their eligibility for registration
- Physical inspection will be by a USSA director or designee of the USSA Board
- Two photos per ewe will be required
- One picture of the animals head (front view)
- One picture of the animal’s profile (side view)
- Photos should be of reasonable quality and clear
- Once the ewes have been approved for registration, complete an application for Suffolk GAP registration
If you are interested contact the U.S.S.A office. The program is for 2 years only and will be terminated December 31, 2020.
DOWNLOAD PROGRAM APPLICATION HERE: GAP Application (pdf) GAP Application (word)
Link for Winter Newsletter: https://suffolks.org/newsletter/2018/Winter%202018.pdf
In 2019 the National Jr. Suffolk Show will be apart of the All-American Junior Sheep Show, held in Hutchinson, Kansas – July 4-7. To learn more, click to view National Junior Suffolk Show Exhibitor letter.
Year end semen sale. Because of our reduce number of ewes have decided to greatly reduce our semen inventory of nine stud rams. Including Champions and sires of Champions. See our website skartvedtsuffolks.com for details Wayne Skartvedt 515-291-8551.
Ewe Lamb Giveaway Winners Announced!
District 1 – Raven Edwards
District 2 – Kalena Troupe
District 4 – Hanna Warnecke
Winning videos will be posted on the USSA website soon.
We had 44 entries this year! For those who entered, please consider entering again next year!
Looking for around 12 bred ewes, open ewes or ewe lambs.
Kenneth Mcclusky, Pleasant Hill, Oregon
Phone: 541 7477501
Suffolk yearling ram for sale – proven breeder born 2/20/17. RR/NN
Sire: Slack 5203
Dam: MacCauley 3374
Big boned, heavily muscled ram with lots of thickness
Contact: Bollinger Family, Blue Spruce Suffolks, PA
717-484-4762 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
2018 North American International Livestock Exposition Suffolk Events
Friday, November 9
Junior Breeding Showmanship – 10am
Premier Bred Ewe Sale—2pm also on wlivestock.com
Market Lamb Showmanship—4pm
Lead Line –5pm
Market Mama Sale—7pm
Saturday, November 10
Suffolk Market Lamb Show
USSA Board Meeting – morning; time & South Wing Board Room A
UJSSA Pizza Party – Noon, USSA Display
North American International Suffolk Sale – 3:30pm
UJSSA Meeting – 5pm, location TBA
Sunday, November 11
Junior Suffolk Breeding Sheep Show – 8am, Ring 1
USSA Annual Meeting & Hall of Fame Banquet – 6:30pm (social hour 5:30pm), South Wing B101
Monday, November 12
Open Suffolk Show – 8am, Ring 1
Thursday, November 15
Supreme Champion – follows completion of all open shows